Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Yoav Gilad
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
Creative deal flow... what are YOU doing to maintain or increase your growth?

Yoav Gilad
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Posted Apr 24 2024, 10:58

Hi new FLIPPERS!

Are you having trouble finding good investment properties? Given the decreased inventory, what is your plan to maintain or increase your growth?

Have you ever tried buying from distressed sellers? Not distressed properties. Distressed sellers.

You need to find people who WANT to sell. Who NEED to sell. If you could help them by buying their house, treating them fairly, and providing the cash they need, doesn't that sound like a win-win deal?

This means looking through public records for probate cases and divorce cases. It could mean talking to folks who lost their job or need to pay medical or car bills. It means speaking to people whose homes are in pre-foreclosure, foreclosure, or are behind on property taxes. You could even offer a lease option for when they're back on their feet... get creative and generous!

The key is that inventory is slim and you need to WORK for good investments. They won't come to you. Go find those WIN-WINs!

And please share how you're maintaining deal flow with other new investors in the comments below! Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Parsh#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tennessee
Votes |
Shawn Parsh#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tennessee
Replied Apr 24 2024, 12:30

Yoav,

I have a lot of success by letting everyone I interact with know that I'm a real estate investor and what types of properties I buy. I also get numerous leads by paying a 1,000 finders fee for any unlisted property someone tells me about that I buy.

User Stats

Votes
Yoav Gilad
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Apr 24 2024, 12:53

I love it! Yeah, we're playing with our referral system, both for properties and loans we originate. But being clear on your buy box is crucial! Thank you, Shawn!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mohamed Camara
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Apr 25 2024, 15:46
Quote from @Yoav Gilad:

Hi new FLIPPERS!

Are you having trouble finding good investment properties? Given the decreased inventory, what is your plan to maintain or increase your growth?

Have you ever tried buying from distressed sellers? Not distressed properties. Distressed sellers.

You need to find people who WANT to sell. Who NEED to sell. If you could help them by buying their house, treating them fairly, and providing the cash they need, doesn't that sound like a win-win deal?

This means looking through public records for probate cases and divorce cases. It could mean talking to folks who lost their job or need to pay medical or car bills. It means speaking to people whose homes are in pre-foreclosure, foreclosure, or are behind on property taxes. You could even offer a lease option for when they're back on their feet... get creative and generous!

The key is that inventory is slim and you need to WORK for good investments. They won't come to you. Go find those WIN-WINs!

And please share how you're maintaining deal flow with other new investors in the comments below! Thank you!

Really good advice/insight!

User Stats

Votes
Yoav Gilad
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Apr 26 2024, 04:48
Quote from @Mohamed Camara:
Quote from @Yoav Gilad:

Hi new FLIPPERS!

Thank you, Mohamed! Anything to add?

User Stats

Votes
Mohamed Camara
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Apr 26 2024, 08:44
Quote from @Yoav Gilad:
Quote from @Yoav Gilad:

Hi new FLIPPERS!

Thank you, Mohamed! Anything to add?

Nope I'm just getting started in this space and what you wrote gave me some insight!

User Stats

Votes
Yoav Gilad
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Apr 26 2024, 11:46

Nope I'm just getting started in this space and what you wrote gave me some insight!

Glad to hear it! If I can help in any other way, please don't hesitate to reach out. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Apr 29 2024, 15:35

@Yoav Gilad, this sounds very sketchy and somewhat manipulative, but is there a site or resource for finding property owners with overdue medical bills or expenses? It's certainly a creative way to source motivated property owners, but it can also lead to manipulative tactics/practices from others by utilizing their unfortunate situation, leaving a sour feeling in my gut. 

User Stats

Votes
Yoav Gilad
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Apr 30 2024, 05:31

@Michael Dumler, thanks for your vote of confidence, lol. I agree that it could lead to people taking advantage of others, but just because you can take advantage does not mean that you must. Treat others as you would like to be treated, right?

Everything is sketchy or manipulative if you're not transparent. The key is being upfront and trying to find a win-win solution. And no, it's not easy. But if someone needs money to deal with an immediate, major problem, then you're providing, if nothing else, an additional option that they can choose or refuse.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Janus
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Replied Apr 30 2024, 07:37
Quote from @Yoav Gilad:

Hi new FLIPPERS!

I give new agents or those desiring to get into real estate lists to call and then buy the deals they find. it works well. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Apr 30 2024, 10:15

@Yoav Gilad, circling back to my initial questions, with that in mind, do you know of any sites or resources where you can source individuals who have outstanding medical bills or expenses? 

User Stats

Votes
Yoav Gilad
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Apr 30 2024, 14:39
Quote from @Joshua Janus:

I give new agents or those desiring to get into real estate lists to call and then buy the deals they find. it works well. 

Makes sense! Thank you for sharing! 

User Stats

Votes
Yoav Gilad
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Apr 30 2024, 14:48
Quote from @Michael Dumler:

@Yoav Gilad, circling back to my initial questions, with that in mind, do you know of any sites or resources where you can source individuals who have outstanding medical bills or expenses?

Good question! I do not know of any such sites; however, my clients, when talking to a potential seller, listened to their pain points and tried to understand and empathize with their core 'why?' If health issues were mentioned, they tried conveying that selling was preferable to simply losing any and all equity if the property was lost to the bank or county. Additionally, a sale would not affect their credit and having cash would give them flexibility and a stronger tool than trapped equity.