User Stats

Votes
Erick Arana
Votes |
Heloc and DSCR option

Erick Arana
Posted Sep 5 2023, 17:34

Hello everyone,

I am interested in pulling equity out of my investment property through a HELOC but some of the lenders and banks I spoke to state that no one offers HELOC's on investment properties. Does anyone know of any lenders/banks that offer investment HELOC's in California? Which leads to my second question if I cannot get the HELOC I am considering a DSCR loan, but curious if I could do a house hack with a DSCR loan?

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Muska
  • Lender
  • Saddle Brook, NJ
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Saddle Brook, NJ
Replied Sep 5 2023, 19:12

First of all, there definitely are HELOCs on investment properties. Those banks do not know what they are talking about. You need to have a first mortgage, however, to do a HELOC on a property.

For the DSCR, what did you have in mind for house hacking?

User Stats

Votes
Wyatt Wolff
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Sep 5 2023, 19:25

There are HELOCs you can get, they are just much more strict about them now. Im not licensed in CA, otherwise Id help out!

The One Brokerage Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Schilling
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 5 2023, 20:24

I was also told this by my mortgage carrier. Located in alabama

User Stats

Votes
Erick Arana
Votes |
Replied Sep 5 2023, 21:46
Quote from @Ryan Muska:

First of all, there definitely are HELOCs on investment properties. Those banks do not know what they are talking about. You need to have a first mortgage, however, to do a HELOC on a property.

For the DSCR, what did you have in mind for house hacking?

Hello @Ryan Muska thanks for the reply. I do have a mortgage on what was originally my primary home two years ago. I turned this into a rental last year when I had to go back into the office full time. My next question is that it hasn't been paid down much but just to give you a quick breakdown the house has increased $80K over the last two years and was hoping to tap into that to use to help fund my next deal. I would like to get into a multi family home so I can house hack it. Which is why if I can't get the HELOC then I would be interested in a DSCR loan to be able to get into a multifamily and help with the mortgage.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Muska
  • Lender
  • Saddle Brook, NJ
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Saddle Brook, NJ
Replied Sep 6 2023, 06:43

For DSCR Loans, you cannot live in the property. That program is strictly for investment properties, not primary. That being said, you can use a primary home loan with rental income to subsidize it.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 6 2023, 09:30
Quote from @Erick Arana:

Hello everyone,

I am interested in pulling equity out of my investment property through a HELOC but some of the lenders and banks I spoke to state that no one offers HELOC's on investment properties. Does anyone know of any lenders/banks that offer investment HELOC's in California? Which leads to my second question if I cannot get the HELOC I am considering a DSCR loan, but curious if I could do a house hack with a DSCR loan?

These folks all do HELOCs on investment properties in California, confirmed in the last couple weeks:

Better.com

Fremont Bank

BMO / Bank of the West

User Stats

Votes
Richard Moreno
  • Investor
  • Malden, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Malden, MA
Replied Feb 15 2024, 02:45

I was just offered a Heloc from Better.com for my investment property in Providence RI. They have various rates to choose from but I am still looking for a bank with better options. TD bank also offered me something.

Has anyone used Better.com for HELOC?

User Stats

Votes
Andy Rousch
  • Investor
  • Mt. Arlington NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mt. Arlington NJ
Replied Apr 2 2024, 10:27

I can't find a DSCR based HELOC program in NJ either. @Erick Arana any luck? I know that TD and Better do have HELOCS for investment properties, but I believe they are based on your tax returns/income. I'm looking for one that isn't tax return based and strictly DSCR based HELOCS 

User Stats

Votes
David Pearl
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Apr 13 2024, 10:57

I am not aware of any DSCR HELOCS. @Erick Arana - Happy to talk to you about a DSCR cash our refi to pull out equity so you have another option in the event you are unable to obtain a HELOC

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Minocchi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Replied Apr 13 2024, 16:54
Quote from @Andy Rousch:

I can't find a DSCR based HELOC program in NJ either. @Erick Arana any luck? I know that TD and Better do have HELOCS for investment properties, but I believe they are based on your tax returns/income. I'm looking for one that isn't tax return based and strictly DSCR based HELOCS 

Not a HELOC, but you could do a debt service-based closed end second. It would be lump sum, not a LOC. Expect 11-12%+ rates right now.

Barrett Financial Group, L.L.C. Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 30 2024, 21:51

@Erik Estrada you able to help out with this?

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Replied May 1 2024, 04:49
Quote from @Uriel Resendiz:

@Erik Estrada you able to help out with this?

Thank you Uriel! 

@Erick Arana

You can obtain a HELOC on an Investment property. It is a full doc loan, so lenders will need to verify you have the DTI to support the line of credit. The max CLTV is 70%, and will allow up to a $500k line of credit.

I am a little confused on the second question. Are you using the cash out proceeds from a DSCR loan on your investment property to house hack a new primary residence? Or are you seeing if you can qualify for a DSCR loan to house hack a primary residence? In either case, I would say most lenders will not allow the use of funds if its not for business purpose only and you definitely cannot owner occupy on a DSCR loan.