User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Another squatter story - where does this end?

Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Posted Apr 17 2024, 07:34

So now it hits a rich and famous person. Gordon Ramsey has had a restaurant for sale and it was taken over by professional squatters (didn't know that was a job title :-)

They planned to give away free food and open an art gallery there and are threatening to prosecute anyone entering without their permission. Wow.

It seems that in England a non residential building can be legally squatted.....?

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Apr 17 2024, 07:44

@Bruce Woodruff there used to be a TV show where they showed how they forcibly repossess these commercial properties, collect on judgement debts, etc all over in England. It was a good show. I think it was called something like Nightmare Tenants & Slum Landlords.

It was a good show. If you can find episodes its worth watching!

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Apr 17 2024, 07:50

Where does it end?

It doesnt end until a few people end up dead from these situations. Only then will the government do something about it. 

District Invest Group Logo
PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Apr 17 2024, 07:55
Quote from @Russell Brazil:

Where does it end?

It doesnt end until a few people end up dead from these situations. Only then will the government do something about it. 

Russell - you're probably right.... I saw a story the other day where squatters broke into a house while the owners were home and claimed ownership. That kind of thing is not going to end well......

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Apr 17 2024, 08:25
Quote from @Russell Brazil:

Where does it end?

its started with de Santis in FLA  signing in the new law and allowing a Sheriff like Sheriff Grady to go knock some heads and believe me they will in FLA . finally some law and order :)  GA is on the cusp of signing the same type of legislation.. the real issues is the states we know to be Tenant friendly .  its going to be turning those around those states that will be the tough one . Also I posted a news article in Vegas recently where the law there has allowed private security to go in like a Swat raid and kick out squatters. So its coming.

Oregon were i am at is bad with this as well on the resi side.. but on Commercial there is no squatting those laws that resi tenants have do not exist for Commercial you post a 3 day notice and then you can legally enter change the locks kick whoever is in out.. that includes your commercial tenant that is not paying.  Thats how we know a restaurant is being booted out you show up and the front door is chain closed.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon C.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied May 4 2024, 10:26

I just learned of this ongoing problem in the States. A group of squatters beat up the property owner and the police said they should take the property owner to jail for breaking and entering their (the squatters') property.