• Investor
  • Rockland County, NY
Votes |
2 Capital calls in 2 weeks! Ouch

Solomon Rosenberg
  • Investor
  • Rockland County, NY
Posted May 16 2023, 16:17

Within the past 2 weeks I got 2 capital calls from different sponsors, I'm assuming that there are many deals in similar situations.

The sponsors are saying, If they have enough capital to bring occupancy to 90% they will have better options to refinance or sell. That's true, however what if they can't deliver on the occupancy in a short period.

They say it's not a good market to sell now. True again, but what if interest rates stay volatile for longer than expected, and the market stays locked up longer.

Meanwhile the property is bleeding 6 figures monthly, and the added capital will only go so far, unless there is a major change in the interest rates soon, and that doesn't seem likely.

They also say if we don't infuse more capital we may lose our principle too, as they will be forced to sell at a loss. That is possible, but this may end up happening anyway.

So, what's the call? Do I put more money into these deals, or do I accept a dilution of my shares and put my money elsewhere?

Here is the thing - our brains are wired to be more sensitive to a loss compared to the possibility of even a much larger gain and we are biased to try and stop a loss.

I think I need to take a step back and think about this like it's a totally new deal, and I have no stake in it, would I invest in this deal now based on all the facts?

What do you think?

Loading replies...