Jordan Blanton
Pro Member
Votes |
Valuing Equity over Cash Flow

Jordan Blanton
Pro Member
Posted Apr 13 2024, 17:39

Hello all, 

Requesting some advice for my next purchase. I'm 31 years old with two properties that already cash flow very well. I'm ready to go with purchasing a third property but when analyzing properties, it seems difficult to find one that cash flows well. It is possible, but not a considerable amount and certainly not as much as my other two properties. 

My question that I would like one to consider is this: Should I target a property that slightly cash flows with a 30 year fixed, or buy a home with a better rate 15 year fixed and target fast accumulating equity and a big fat cash flow egg that will be gifted to me in 15 years? I understand the added risk with a 15 year fixed (always have an exit strategy) which I will have with cash reserve tucked away that will fund major repairs / emergencies if they come up. I also have a good w-2, live below my means, no debt, and due to get wage increases in coming years. 

My thought is since cash flow is more difficult at the moment, and with my age, it seems more immediate and appealing to get a 15 year fixed that will set me up very, very well when I turn only 46 years old. When analyzing properties and doing calculations, this strategy does not provide a good return for the first few years, but it most definitely does give me faster equity accumulation and gives me the quickest/biggest cash flow per year that trumps other situations with properties on 30 year fixed mortgages. 

Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated! 

Loading replies...